The student visa is intended for face-to-face, virtual or distance education studies in arts and crafts, preschool, primary, secondary, middle school, education for work and human development and higher education; or for student internships and academic exchanges by agreement between higher education institutions.
*Passport holders from countries or territories exempt from visa requirements will not have to apply for this type of visa as long as their stay in Colombia does not exceed 180 calendar days.
They can be consulted at the following link: (
This visa will be valid for up to 2 years. Except for virtual or distance learning because absence from the country for more than 90 calendar days will result in automatic termination of the visa.
In the case of graduate university students, it is allowed to work up to 20 hours per week once the employer reports it in the systems or platforms provided for this purpose to the Special Administrative Unit of Migration Colombia and the Ministry of Labor.
To apply, the following requirements must be met, in addition to meeting the general requirements:
- Those established in cases in which the request is made in a personal capacity, with the support of a natural person or legal entity. (referred to in articles 31 and 32 of resolution 5277 of 2022)
- Certificate of admission or enrollment in the educational institution indicating the degree or program for which the student is admitted or enrolled and its duration.
- In the case of paid or unpaid student internships, communication from the educational institution endorsing the internship, indicating the duration of the activity.
- Health policy with coverage in the national territory against all risks in case of accident, illness, maternity, disability, hospitalization, death or repatriation for the expected time of stay in the country.
- For second and subsequent visas, certification from the entity of attendance and completion of the course, studies or internship for which the visa was issued.
In addition to the above, it should be noted that the procedure consists of two stages, which have different costs.
The first stage corresponds to the study, which costs 16 EUR for Europe and Cuba, and 12 USD for Colombia and the rest of the world.
The second stage, which is the expedition stage, costs 17 EUR for Europe and Cuba and 51 USD for Colombia and the rest of the world.
In the case of Ecuadorian, Japanese, Korean and Peruvian nationals settling in the Amazon and Putumayo river basins, the differential rates indicated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on its website should be reviewed (
*In the case of Spanish nationals the procedure will be free of charge.
Finally, it is important to emphasize that the fact of making the application by complying with all the general and specific requirements and the payment corresponding to the two stages of the process does not guarantee that the visa will be obtained, since the authority has the discretionary power with respect to these decisions.
However, the outlook is encouraging considering the figures provided by DANE which indicate that for the third quarter of 2022 the percentage of approved V visa applications was 96.5%.