M Visa to practice profession or independent activity
Any foreigner who has the qualifications or expertise and the financial conditions to work as an independent professional may apply for a migrant visa, which is valid for 3 years.
This visa confers work permission only for the profession or activity for which the visa was granted.
General requirements to apply for an M visa to practice a profession or independent activity
- Complete the visa application form electronically.
- Present a valid passport, travel document or Laissez Passer , in good condition and with free space for visas.
- Provide a copy of the main page of the passport, travel document or valid Laissez Passer where the holder’s personal or biographical data are recorded.
- Foreigners requesting a visa while in the territory of a State other than that of their nationality (including Colombia) must provide a copy of the document that, in accordance with the immigration regulations of the country in which they are staying, certifies legal, regular or authorized stay.
To take into account:
- Documents (except for identity and travel documents) must have been issued no more than 3 months prior to application
- Foreign documents must have been legalized or apostilled.
- If the documents are in a language other than Spanish, they must have an official legalized or apostilled translation.
- The Colombian Ministry of Foreign Affairs may request judicial background information.
Specific requirements to apply for the M visa to practice profession or self-employed activity
- Letter of application accompanied by at least 3 certificates of experience in the corresponding trade or profession.
- Personal bank statements for the 6 months prior to the application, proving an average income of at least ten (10) legal monthly minimum wages in force.
- In the case of the exercise of a regulated profession, accreditation of suitability by means of the corresponding permit, license or provisional permit to exercise the respective profession in Colombia, granted by the competent authority, as applicable.
- In the case of exercising a non-regulated liberal profession, the professional degree duly validated by the Ministry of Education.
Costs of the M visa to practice profession or self-employed activity
Two payments must be made:
- At the time of application, for the study:
- If the request is made from Europe or Cuba, the cost is €40.
- If the request is made from Colombia and the rest of the world, the cost is €52.
- If the request is made by an Ecuadorian national, from Europe or Cuba, the cost is €23.
- If the request is made by an Ecuadorian national, from Colombia or the rest of the world, the cost is US$30.
- If the application is made by a Spanish national, it is free of charge.
- At the moment of visa approval, for its issuance:
- If the request is made from Europe or Cuba, the cost is €177.
- If the request is made from Colombia and the rest of the world, the cost is €230.
- If the request is made by a Peruvian national to settle in the Amazon and Putumayo river basins, an Ecuadorian, Spanish, Japanese or Korean national, there is no cost.