UK Background Application
The DBS or Disclosure and Barring Service, which is equivalent to a criminal record certificate, contains information on convictions, discussions, reprimands, warnings and fines that are recorded in the police database.
This document may be necessary for a Colombian visa application since, under resolution 6045 of 2017, the visa authority may require it.
It cannot be requested by a private individual so, although there are companies that provide the DBS application service, in principle, the company or institution that requires it must process it.
There are several types of DBS, depending on their content:
- Basic: Contains details of current convictions and warnings. Cost: $89,820 pesos.
- Standard: Contains information on convictions in force or not, warnings, sanctions and reprimands, provided they are not protected. Cost: $126,714 pesos.
- Enhanced: The same information as the standard and, in addition, any other criminally relevant information that may be in the possession of the police. Cost: $219,516 pesos.
Certain companies or countries require a police record, which shows all types of sanctions and warnings, even if they do not appear on the criminal record. This can be requested as a private individual through a request to the Criminal Records Office ACRO, as follows:
- Have on hand: (each file must be less than 2MB in size and in JPG, GIF, TIF or PDF format).
- Proof of your current address (translated into English).
- Passport style photograph (45mm x 35mm), recent and in color.
- Color copy of passport, identity card or travel document.
- Address history for the last 10 years including dates.
- Details (full name, occupation, relationship, telephone number and e-mail address) of your sponsor (adult who has known you for at least 2 years, who is not a relative or partner and who is in one of the professions on this list or similar).
- Social security number and UK driving license, if you have them.
- If requested by a third party with authorization from the owner of the information, the letter of authorization and proof of identity showing the signature of the real applicant.
- Click on the “Apply” button.
- Check the box below that says “Tick here if you require a Police Certificate for visa or emigration purposes and can meet all of the requirements listed above”.
- Click on the “Start Application” button. Note: Please note that once you click this button, you will not be able to go back in the page.
- Fill out the form.
It costs $274,450 pesos (standard – up to 12 business days) or $474,050 pesos (expedited – up to 4 business days).