The investor visa in Colombia is a category within the type M visas, that is, for migrants. This visa is intended for foreigners who wish to settle temporarily in the country. In case of being the holder of a visa of this type and being absent from the country for more than 180 continuous calendar days in the period of 1 year counted from the issuance of the visa, its validity will be automatically lost.
Now, specifically about the investor visa in Colombia, it is important to take into account that it is intended for foreigners who have made direct foreign investment or have acquired real estate in their own name and maintain the investment or acquisition during the term of their visa, which may be valid for up to 3 years and allows the holder to request beneficiaries, which refers to the following family members or economic dependents of the visa holder:
- Spouse or permanent partner
- Children up to 25 years of age
- Child with a physical or mental disability.
Requirements to apply for an investor visa in Colombia
Regarding the requirements to apply for this visa category, in addition to the general requirements inherent to all applications, the following conditions must be met:
- In case of Foreign Direct Investment, provide a communication issued by the International Exchange Department of the Banco de la República (Central Bank) stating the registration of the foreign direct investment in its name whose amount exceeds 650 SMLMV on the date of filing the application.
- In the case of investment in real estate, until the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has an agreement that allows for internal consultation of the information, the interested party must provide a certificate of title to the real estate whose ownership is exclusively in the name of the foreigner, for a minimum value equivalent to 350 SMLMV at the date of submission of the application, and a communication issued by the Department of International Exchange of the Banco de la República showing the registration of the direct foreign investment for the purchase of real estate in the name of the foreigner requesting the visa.
- Demonstrate by means of bank statements of the last three months prior to the visa application, economic solvency to remain in the country.
- When this visa is requested for the second and subsequent times, the foreigner must demonstrate that he/she maintained the investment or possession of the property during the entire term of his/her previous visa.
- Demonstrate that he/she has health coverage in Colombia, or a health policy with coverage in the national territory against all risks in case of accident, illness, maternity, disability, hospitalization, death or repatriation, for the time foreseen for his/her stay in the country.
The procedure consists of two stages, which have different costs. The first stage corresponds to the study, which costs 42.25 EUR for Europe and Cuba, and 54.92 USD for Colombia and the rest of the world. The second stage, which is the expedition stage, costs 149.98 EUR for Europe and Cuba and 270.4 USD for Colombia and the rest of the world. In the case of Ecuadorian, Japanese, Korean and Peruvian nationals settling in the Amazon and Putumayo river basins, the differential rates indicated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on its website should be reviewed.
*In the case of Spanish nationals the procedure will be free of charge.
Colombia is a country in which the investment opportunity is very attractive for foreigners because, as Inversión Colombia points out: “es the fourth largest economy in the region and stands out as one of the most stable in Latin America. Its strength allowed it to capitalize on 50 years of growth to face the crisis caused by the pandemic and in the next 5 years it is projected to grow faster than economies such as Brazil, Mexico and Argentina.”