If you are a foreigner and you need to stay or leave our country temporarily, you will need to obtain a migratory safe-conduct in Colombia.
A laissez-passer is basically a temporary document issued by the Special Administrative Unit of Migration Colombia to monitor the departure or stay of foreigners who are in a special situation in the national territory.
Types of immigration laissez-passer in Colombia
Safeguards will be granted in accordance with the following circumstances.
Safe-conduct of Stay
This type of migratory safe-conduct in Colombia corresponds to these assumptions:
- When a visa application or visa change is due. In this case, the safe-conduct will be up to 30 days, extendable, in special situations, for an additional 30 days.
- When the foreigner must remain on probation, parole or by order of the competent authority. The time given will be up to 30 days or until their legal situation is resolved.
- When he/she must remain in Colombia until his/her administrative circumstance is resolved. The period shall be up to 30 days, which may be extended, at the request of the interested party, for terms of less than 30 days.
- When you require a solution to your refugee or asylum situation for up to 90 days, which may be extended for another 90 days at the request of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- When there has been an irregular stay, being able to request the corresponding visa. The duration will be up to 30 days. It is worth mentioning that you may opt for this procedure as long as you have cancelled the penalty imposed.
- When required by the immigration authority for a period of up to 15 days, extendable for equal periods.
This migratory safe-conduct in Colombia is presented in the events:
- When the foreigner was in irregular stay and prior compliance with the sanctions, he/she is given a term of up to 30 days.
- When you are deported or expelled and must leave immediately. The period, in this case, is up to 30 days.
- When the visa or permit has been cancelled.
- When the visa has been denied.
- At the end of the authorized period of stay and, additionally, due to a proven act of God or force majeure, it has not been possible to leave the national territory. The term, in these scenarios, will be up to 30 days.
- Make the request in the Unique Form of Procedures through the web page of Migration Colombia.
- Identification document or passport.
- Copy of the main page of the passport or travel document. The purpose of this is to have the biographical data of the person.
- Recent document type photograph, 3x4cm, in color, with blue background and front view.
- Proof of the reason for which you need to stay in national territory or exit ticket.
To complete the process, you must go to a nearby Migration Services Facilitator Center with your documentation.
Duration of the procedure
The deadline for this type of procedure is one (1) business day.
Cost of the migratory laissez-passer in Colombia
The cost of the safe-conduct issuance fee is $63,000 Colombian pesos. However, there are circumstances that are exempt from making this payment, which are as follows:
- Cancellation of visa or permit.
- Refuge, asylum, deportation or expulsion.
- Order of judicial or administrative authority.
- First duplicate.
- By discretionary criteria when so provided by the immigration authority, in matters related to human rights and fundamental rights of the applicant.
In cases where payment is required, payment must be made at the time the safe-conduct application is made.
How to apply for an immigration laissez-passer in Colombia
To complete the online process, you must enter www.migracioncolombia.gov.co. Then, you will have to identify the options “procedures and services” and “procedures”, to finally enter “enter here to the single form of procedures (FUT)”.
Then you will have to choose the language you want to start the process. Next, select the type of procedure, which, in this case, must be the laissez-passer. Next, you will have to choose the Migration Services Facilitator Center near you.
After this, the information requested for personal data and information in case of emergency is completed. It is preferable that the emergency contact be someone in Colombia.
In the file section you must attach the identification card or document of foreigners in PDF format of maximum 3MB.
Finally, in the consent section, you must indicate whether you agree with the conditions of the application, so that, when you finish, the system will give you a processing number that you must save.
To keep in mind
- In the case of minors, they must be accompanied by a parent or legal representative, who will have to prove their relationship or legal representation.
- The safe-conducts of stay to apply for a visa must be processed before the expiration of the ordinary visa.
- If a laissez-passer is issued to request or change a visa, only the activity previously permitted by the visa may be exercised.