Colombia Visa Application
The procedures for all types of visas in Colombia can be carried out digitally through the official website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Colombia. official website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (
If the person is outside of Colombia, the application must be submitted to before the Consular Office whose circumscription corresponds to his own country of residence or that third country where he is established with a temporary or permanent residence permit; on the other hand, if the person is in Colombia, he must submit his application through the digital platform, choosing in the menu of options “o
office in Bogota”, which will only hear visa applications from foreigners who are in the country with a regular migratory situation.
This office will only hear visa applications from foreigners who are in the country with a regular migratory situation.
Although the application is submitted digitally, the Visa and Immigration Authority may require the original and physical submission of the required documentation.
General requirements for all visa applications:
- Fill out the electronic visa application form available on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Provide a recent digital photograph, in color and with a white background.
- You must have a passport, travel document, or
valid for at least six (6) months at the time of the visa application, in good condition and with free pages to stamp the visa sticker.
- Foreigners requesting a visa while in Colombian territory must provide a copy of the passport page with the most recent entry stamp or equivalent entry authorization issued by the Special Administrative Unit of Migration Colombia, or a safe-conduct to prove their regular stay in the country.
- Citizens of nationalities exempted from the short-stay visa requirement by Resolution 5488 of 2022, who apply for their visa in the territory of a State other than that of their nationality, must provide a copy of the document proving their regular stay. Citizens of nationalities not exempted from short-stay visa requirements who apply for a visa in a country other than that of their nationality must provide a copy of the document proving their immigration status as a resident.
Stages of the process:
- It corresponds to the study of the application that begins once the electronic form is completed and the documents are digitalized, continues with the generation on the platform of a reference number with which the applicant must proceed to pay within the following 10 calendar days and once the payment is made, the Visa and Immigration Authority will have up to thirty 30 calendar days to issue the pronouncement that may be exceeded when it is required to raise consultations to other entities. (The application fee is non-refundable and does not commit the granting of the visa).
- Refers to the issuance of the visa if authorized. The holder will have up to 10 calendar days to make the corresponding payment. Within 10 working days after payment of the approved visa, the Visa and Immigration Authority will issue and send the e-visa to the alien’s e-mail address registered by the applicant.
The costs of each stage vary according to the type of visa and the activity/occupation. They can be consulted at the following link: https://www.cancilleria.gov.co/tramites_servicios/visa/costos-medios-pago-oficinas-atencion
Types of visas
It is intended for short to medium stay activities in the country and does not grant temporary or permanent resident status. These include:
It is valid for up to 1 year and does not allow work within the Colombian territory.
It is valid for up to 2 years and does not allow the holder to work or be linked to the Colombian social security system. It is intended for business negotiations, market research, direct investment plans or procedures and incorporation of commercial companies, negotiation, conclusion of contracts or commercial representation.
It must be processed whenever the stay in Colombia exceeds 180 calendar days and will be valid for up to 2 years. This allows the graduate student to work up to 20 hours per week.
Visitor’s visa (type V) courtesy:
It applies to specific cases such as diplomats, persons participating in academic programs or ICETEX events, persons covered by the Film Law, foreigners to whom CONARE requests a complementary measure to the refuge and other cases contemplated in the law.
It is intended for foreigners who wish to settle in the country and is valid for 3 years. These include:
Applies to foreigners who have a marital relationship with a Colombian citizen and aspire to effectively cohabit with him/her in Colombia. This visa grants an open work permit.
Intended for people who aspire to work in Colombia with a legal entity linked by means of an employment contract. The work permit applies exclusively to the position, entity, profession or activity for which the visa was granted.
Applies to foreigners who have made a Foreign Direct Investment or have acquired real estate in their own name and maintain such investment or acquisition during the term of their visa.
All visas belonging to this category allow accumulating time for the Resident Visa, after a minimum time of permanence as holder has elapsed.
Applies to foreigners wishing to settle permanently in Colombia.
Intended for the spouse, permanent partner and children under 25 years of age who are economically dependent on the principal visa holder, or who, being older than 25 years of age, have some type of duly qualified disability that prevents them from being economically independent.