In this blog we will tell you all about the digital nomad visa for Germany.
What is the digital nomad visa for Germany?
A visa by which the German government grants a residence permit to foreigners who wish to reside in Germany and work remotely is known as a self-employed residence permit. This visa has two modalities, the self-employed and the freelancer and both have some different requirements.
This visa is governed by the Residence Law – AufenthG. The application for such visas in Germany has been on the rise during the year 2023.
This visa allows the foreigner to reside in Germany for a period that can vary between 6 months and 3 years.
Requirements for the digital nomad visa for Germany
The German government has some general and some specific requirements depending on the type of visa you are applying for. The general requirements are:
- Application form duly filled out (it can be accessed through the following link:
- Valid passport.
- Certificate of health insurance.
- Certificate of registration of the German domicile.
- Curriculum vitae in resume format.
- Budget plan clearly stating the applicant’s expected income and expenses during his/her stay in Germany.
- Language certificate.
- Certificate of university and postgraduate studies.
- Proof of work activity carried out by the foreigner (with it the German authorities evaluate whether or not the professional can be useful for the country’s economy).
Foreigners applying for the digital nomad visa for Germany in the self-employed mode must also submit the following documents:
- Profile of the company in which they work.
- Financing requirements.
- Income forecast letter.
- Business profile in which the business strategy is determined, the main target audience of the business strategy and the sector of the company.
In addition, a bank certificate must be provided showing that the applicant receives an annual salary of 48,180 euros.
Processing of digital nomad visa for Germany
An appointment must be requested through the website of the German Embassy in Bogota. The appointment is in person and 2 copies of each of the required documents must be presented, depending on the type of application.
The application and subsequent issuance of the visa must be made no more than 3 months prior to the planned date of travel.
Costs and duration of the procedure
A fee of 100 euros must be paid to make this request. The visa approval can last up to 12 weeks.
- Expat.com. (2017, December 8). Become a Digital Nomad in Germany. https://www.expat.com/es/guia/europa/alemania/16766-conviertete-en-un-nomada-digital-en-alemania.html
- Work visa for qualified professionals. (2023, January 25). https://www.make-it-in-germany.com/es/visado-residencia/tipos/trabajo-profesionales-cualificados
- Amt, A. (n, d). National visas. Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs. https://bogota.diplo.de/co-es/service/visa-einreise/-/1808586
- França, R. (2023, January 30).
Visas for Digital Nomads
40 Countries Open in 2023
. Planet Nomad. https://www.planet-nomad.com/es/visas-para-nomadas-digitales/