In this blog we will tell you about the Digital Nomad Visa for Malta.
What is the Digital Nomad Visa for Malta?
It is a visa created by the Nomad Residence Permit program that grants foreigners a permit to reside in Malta while working remotely as a freelancer or with companies that are not domiciled there.
This permit is for persons who are not citizens of the European Union, i.e. who are not nationals of countries belonging to the European Union.
Foreigners wishing to acquire this visa must work for a remote company domiciled in any country (except Malta), have shares or a company or companies that are registered in other countries and whose business activity is carried out outside Maltese territory or be self-employed and have clients with whom they have a contractual relationship and who reside outside Malta.
The application for this type of visas for Malta during 2023 has increased compared to previous years.
This type of visa allows foreigners to reside in the Maltese territory for a period of 1 year with the possibility of extension.
Digital Nomad Visa Requirements for Malta
- Application form duly completed (can be accessed through the following link:
- Valid passport.
- Certificate of medical insurance valid for the duration of the stay in Malta.
- Certificate of remote worker or contract with a company external to Malta that evidences that the foreigner can continue to carry out his/her professional activity remotely.
- Bank certificate evidencing that the person has a fixed income of at least 2,700 euros.
- Certificate of criminal record.
- Lease agreement or certificate of ownership of residence in Malta.
- Duly signed letter expressing the motivation to reside and work remotely in Malta and expressly stating the length of residence there.
- Resume in Europass format.
In case the foreigner wishes to travel with his/her family, he/she must fill out the application form for family members (access through the following link): https://residencymalta.gov.mt/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/0367_RM_Nomad_Form_N2_Family-Member_AW_OUTPUT_FORM.pdf) and the bank account certificate must show that the applicant has a monthly income of 400 euros for each additional family member included in the application.
Digital Nomad Visa application for Malta
The visa must be applied for at the Maltese consulate or embassy nearest to the applicant’s country of origin. The application must be made in person and all required documentation must be submitted. Some embassies require an appointment while others allow walk-in applications, so it will depend on the embassy in each country.
It is recommended that the request be made 6 weeks in advance of the planned travel date.
Costs and duration of the procedure
A fee of 300 euros must be paid to make the application. The approval of the application for this visa can take between 14 and 45 days.
This visa allows the foreigner to travel with his or her immediate family, meaning the spouse or permanent companion and children.
- Navas, G. (2021, October 14). Visa for digital nomads in Malta: everything you need to know. Work for the World: Employment, Training, Telework. https://trabajarporelmundo.org/visa-para-nomadas-digitales-en-malta/#:~:text=La%20visa%20para%20n%C3%B3madas%20digitales%20de%20Malta%2C%20creada%20oficialmente%20dentro,un%20periodo%20de%20un%20a%C3%B1o
- Living Malta. (2022, May 3). Getting a residence permit in Malta by being a “digital nomad”. https://vivirsemalta.com/como-obtener-el-permiso-de-residencia-en-malta-siendo-nomada-digital/#%C2%BFComo_pedir_el_Nomad_Residence_Permit
- How and where to apply for a Schengen visa? (s, f). https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/es/como-y-donde-solicitar-un-visado-schengen/
Visa V Digital Nomads
- França, R. (2023, 30 enero). Visas for Digital Nomads⚠️40 Countries Open in 2023.. Planet Nomad. https://www.planet-nomad.com/es/visas-para-nomadas-digitales/