What happens if my visa application is denied in Colombia?
Have you ever wondered what happens after the visa application process is complete? Here we tell you about it.
Upon expiration of the deadline for the visa authority to respond to the application, the visa authority will issue a decision:
- Authorizing the expedition.
- Requesting information.
- Inadmitting the request.
- Denying the granting of the visa.
It is worth mentioning that whatever the decision of the authority, it will be made known, in a timely manner, through the media in which the application was submitted.
What do these answers consist of?
1. Authorization of visa issuance: This occurs when the visa authority verifies the requirements, finds that everything necessary has been complied with and proceeds to authorize the issuance of the visa.
Finally, the applicant must pay the issuance fee for the subsequent sending of the e-visa within 3 days after payment.
2. Request for information: The visa authority will contact the interested party in the following cases:
- When a visa application has incomplete or illegible documents.
- If there is ambiguous information.
- Additional information or documentation is required.
- An interview is required.
In these events, the term to adopt the decision may be extended for up to 30 calendar days counted from the date of filing of the request.
It is important to provide the required information because, if it is not provided within the period granted for this purpose, the tacit withdrawal will operate, which, in other words, is the inaction that produces the automatic withdrawal of the application and implies the termination of the process without the visa authority’s pronouncement.
3. Inadmission or non-approval of the application: This is the decision by means of which the authority decides not to authorize the issuance of the visa as a consequence of any of the following situations:
- The interested party did not comply with a request on time.
- The application does not comply with the requirements due to inconsistency between the activity that the interested party intends to carry out and the type of visa requested.
- Disposition of the authority in use of discretionary power.
It is recalled that inadmissibility is the end of the procedure.
4. Refusal to grant a visa: The visa authority, using its discretion, may refuse to issue a visa and terminate the visa process.
What can I do if my visa was denied?
If your visa application was denied, you will not be able to register a new application until 6 months after the denial.
In the event of a refusal, can I file a claim?
In visa applications
no appeals against the visa authority’s
of the visa authority.
What should I do if my application was denied and I am in Colombia?
If you are in Colombia and your visa application was denied, you do not have to be in the country irregularly. For this, you can request the issuance of a safe-conduct to leave the country.
In this regard, it is recalled that the safe-conduct is a temporary document issued by the Special Administrative Unit of Migration Colombia to foreigners who require it.
Likewise, it should be noted that the exit safe-conduct established for cases in which the visa is denied will have a duration of up to 30 calendar days.
If you are interested in applying for this laissez-passer and want to know how to do it, you can review the article “Application for a migratory laissez-passer in Colombia” published in our web page.
Why might a visa application be denied in Colombia?
In accordance with current regulations, the visa authority will not grant a visa to anyone who deploys:
- Disrespectful or threatening behavior.
- Manifest insults with foul language or derogatory language towards the Institution, the Colombian State or its patriotic symbols.
- Or commits other acts that violate fundamental rights or human dignity.
Can I have access to the concept issued by the visa authority?
Both the file that makes up the application for a visa and its study, as well as the concept on which its granting, inadmissibility or denial is based, are of a confidential nature.
In this sense, copies of the stored image may only be disclosed or issued, with prior written authorization granted by the General Secretariat of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, to:
- The headline.
- The proxy.
- The competent authority.