Visa of parent or child of national by adoption
Any foreigner who is interested in staying in Colombia and has a father, mother or child who is Colombian by adoption, may apply for a visa in the country under these conditions.
If this is your case, you will have to apply for the type M visa, which has a duration of three years.
There are documents required for all visas. These are:
- Valid passport or travel document. It must be in good condition and with free space for visa.
- Copy of the main page of the passport or travel document. The purpose of this is to have the biographical data of the person.
- If you are in Colombia, you must prove that you are in regular migratory status in the country and show the last entry stamp, exit stamp or safe-conduct, depending on your case.
- If you are outside the Colombian territory and intend to apply for the visa abroad, you will have to attach a copy of the document that proves your regular stay in that country.
- Recent document type photograph, 3×4 cm, in color, with white background and front view. It must be in JPG format and weigh no more than 300 KB.
To keep in mind:
- The documents must be dated less than 3 months before the application is filed. This applies to all documents except identity and travel documents.
- Foreign documents must have an apostille or legalization.
- The documents must have an official translation into Spanish when they are not in Spanish. The translation must be apostilled or legalized.
- The visa authority may require judicial background information.
In addition to the general requirements, this visa requires:
- Copy of the resolution of inscription or of the letter of nature of the Colombian nationality by adoption of whom the applicant is the father, mother or child.
- Document that accredits the kinship, in the first degree of consanguinity, between the foreigner applying for the visa and the Colombian national by adoption. This document may be an authentic copy of the birth certificate or civil registry. In any case, the document that, in accordance with the laws of the issuing country, certifies such relationship, shall serve for the accreditation.
- Visa application letter signed by the Colombian by adoption, either the parent or the child. In the case of a minor, the letter must be signed by the persons having guardianship or parental authority.
Checklist of requirements
The documents you must have for submission of the application are:
|Copy of the main page of the passport|
|Document proving regular stay|
|Photocopy of the letter of nature or resolution of registration.|
|Document certifying the relationship between parent and child|
|Visa application letter signed by a Colombian citizen by adoption|
These procedures have two rates. First of all, a payment must be made at the moment the application is made, this is the study cost and may vary depending on the place where the procedure is carried out. If the application is made from Europe and Cuba the cost is €40 .00 and if it is from Colombia and the rest of the world the cost will be US$52.00. In case of being an Ecuadorian national, the cost is €23 .00 if requested in Europe and Cuba and US$30.00 in the rest of the world. For Spanish nationals there is no cost for the study of the application.
Second, when the application is approved, a fee equivalent to the cost of issuing the visa must be paid. If the visa is paid in Europe and Cuba the cost is €177 .00 and if it is in Colombia and the rest of the world it is US$230.00. For nationals of the Republic of Peru who settle in the Amazon and Putumayo river basins, Ecuadorians, Spaniards, Japanese and Koreans, the visa is free of charge.
Methods of payment
There are different alternatives to make the payment:
- In public attention offices, which can be located in Bogotá and abroad in the Colombian consulates.
- On the chancellery website with PSE or VISA and MasterCard credit cards.
- SERVIBANCA ATM located in Colombia.
- Branches of Banco GNB Sudameris.
Duration of the procedure
In order to know the duration of these processes, it is important to know its two moments: when the application is made and when the e-visa is issued.
Initially, the application is filed and after making the payment, the visa authority has a term of up to 5 working days to issue a concept. However, this time may be up to 30 calendar days when additional information is required.
Finally, after payment of the visa issuance, the authority has up to 3 working days to issue and send the e-visa.
Can I work with this visa?
Persons who are granted a type M visa for being the parent or child of a Colombian national by adoption are allowed to work and carry out all types of lawful activities within Colombian territory.
To keep in mind
Once you have the M type visa and decide to stay indefinitely in Colombia and establish your domicile here, you can apply for the Resident or R type visa.
If you are interested in applying for a type R visa because you are the parent or child of a Colombian national by adoption, you must have been in the country as a holder of a type M visa for 2 years in a continuous and uninterrupted manner.
Attorneys Specializing in visa processing for parent or child of a national by adoption
At Servicio Legal, you will find immigration lawyers, specialized in visa procedures. If you are looking for legal advice for the visa process of a parent or child of a national by adoption,
please contact us at
call us at
Here you will find the legal advice you need.