The validation of diplomas is the official recognition by the Colombian Ministry of National Education of studies completed abroad for preschool, elementary and high school grades, by means of an administrative act, regarding partial studies (grades completed and approved) and bachelor’s degree.
This type of process is divided into two, the recognition of partial degrees and the recognition of baccalaureate degrees. If you wish to find out more about the process of recognition of higher education degrees awarded abroad, you can access our article about it.
Recognition of Partial Studies
This process is for courses, years or grades of preschool, elementary and middle school. It is important to note that it is only possible to carry out the validation process for completed and/or approved degrees.
Recognition of the Academic or Technical Baccalaureate Degrees in the specialty studied.
This consists of legalizing the high school diploma in Colombia, in addition to this, in order to have access to higher education in our country, it is necessary to present the Saber 11° test before the ICFES.
In order to carry out the process of validation of qualifications, the applicant must
- Register, get your username and password to log in, all this can be done on the official website of the ministry.
- Fill out the application for validation of studies by type, whether partial or bachelor’s degree.
- Attach a legible photocopy and/or scan, without erasures or amendments of the applicant’s identity document.
- Submit photocopies and/or scans, legible on both sides, without erasures or amendments of diplomas, degrees, certificates or documents that show the completion and approval of courses, years, grades or cycles, within the mentioned levels.
- Submit a photocopy and/or legible scan of the recognition of the documents (seal and signature) by the competent educational authority that certifies and/or endorses them and their proper translation into Spanish (These documents must be duly apostilled or have the pertinent legalization according to the country of origin of the documents).
- At the end of the process you will be informed by e-mail to download the Administrative Act (i.e. the certification) and/or the process to be carried out for the corresponding notification (Resolution).
- Follow up the process.
Cost and Duration
The application for the validation of preschool, elementary and high school diplomas obtained abroad is completely free of charge and lasts fifteen working days from the moment it is filed, in accordance with the provisions of the Ministry of National Education.
In the event that a “Citizen Requirement” is made, to complete the documentation and/or information provided at the time of filing the request, there will be one month to respond, this in accordance with the provisions of Article 17 of Law 1437 of 2011.
A lawyer is not required for this procedure, but if you wish to obtain more information, it is recommended that you access the Ministry of Education‘s website, use this guide developed by the government, and/or contact a lawyer.
#1 Ministry of Education